Excise Tax Billing

Excise Tax Billing

The Town of Andover issued the calendar year 2024 motor vehicle excise tax bills (1st Commitment) on Friday, February 16th, 2024. Payment of your motor vehicle excise to the Town of Andover Treasurer/Collector is due Monday, March 18th, 2024 to avoid costly penalties, interest, and fees.  

“Why didn’t I receive my 2024 Motor Vehicle Excise bill?”

There are many reasons why you may not have received a Motor Vehicle Excise tax. They may be any of the following:

  • 1. The Registry of Motor Vehicles does not have your current mailing address. You can check it and make any necessary changes here: myRMV Online Service Center
  • 2. Your registration has expired.
  • 3. You haven’t been billed yet. (Note: the Registry commits up to 12 motor vehicle excise billing cycles in a calendar year.)
  • 4. The U.S. Postal Service did not deliver your bill to the correct address.

Please be advised that under M.G.L. Chapter 60A, Section 2, “Failure to receive an excise notice shall not affect the validity of the excise.” A person who does not receive a bill is still liable for the excise plus any interest and/or charges accrued. If you have not received a bill or think you may have an outstanding excise tax, please contact the Treasurer/Collector’s Office at (978)623-8940 to inquire.

Remember that when you register a motor vehicle, a motor vehicle excise tax bill is generated, and you are responsible for its payment whether you receive the bill or not

If you neglect to pay your excise tax in a timely manner to the Town of Andover Collector/Treasurer, it will be sent to the Deputy Tax Collector Kelley & RyanAt that point, they will begin applying late fees and charges which will not be reduced or removed under any circumstances. The bill can no longer be paid through the Town of Andover and payment must be made to the Deputy Collector. If the bill remains unpaid, Kelley & Ryan will notify the Registry of Motor Vehicles and you will be marked at the RMV, which means you will be unable to renew your license or registrations until the excise tax is paid in full, including all the late fees and charges. 

If you move within Massachusetts or out-of-state, if you sell or trade your motor vehicle, or if it is stolen, you need to make every effort to obtain the bill, to pay it, and then to apply for an abatement if you are eligible.