Carmel Woods Reservation used to be part of a larger Town Forest, which supplied wood products to the surrounding community. The Andover Park Commission built a carriage road through the woods in 1897, which is now used as the main trail. Today the reservation is 20 acres in size and contains mature woods, glacial rock formations, and an open space at the top of the hill that is used as a picnicking area.
Passive recreation such as leashed dog walking, picnicking, hiking, birdwatching, and cross country skiing is welcome at Carmel Woods Reservation. Access is available at the end of Carmel Road off of Walnut Street and from High Street.
A small parking area is available at the end of Carmel Road. Parking is also possible along High Street.